Wednesday 28 November 2012

Just Do It!

I’m not only thrilled to finally be getting on and writing - rather than just talking about it - but also to discover that I really love the characters and the story that are emerging.  It’s almost magical how you can sit down and start writing and suddenly something that you hadn’t thought of or imagined or planned comes flowing out onto the page!  

There are plenty of times when I have no idea what to write next but I’m learning to just get on and get something on paper.  Even if it’s rubbish, even if I end up deleting the whole lot in a future edit, at least I had some words on the page that I could evaluate and craft.  If I don’t have that then I’m no closer to having a potential manuscript than if I was just spending my time watching daytime TV instead.

And to be honest, it’s rarely going to be complete rubbish that I have to completely cut.  Even in the midst of a poor section of writing there’s likely to be a kernel of an idea to use elsewhere, or a nugget of dialogue that would really click in another scene.

For example, just last week I was writing a scene that I wasn’t much convinced by as it lacked pace and punch.  It was kinda important for the character and relationship development of the protagonist and antagonist, but even as I was writing it I knew I’d need to go back and do some serious editing on it at some point.  Then suddenly, out of nowhere, came the protagonist’s key motivation for doing what he needs to do in the story – an essential aspect which until that moment had been glaringly missing from my story arc!  All sorts of other minor elements suddenly linked up and gave the whole story a much more solid foundation!  Hurray :-)

This is true of so many creative pursuits though, not just writing.  We need to try in order to move forward and improve.  An artist needs to dabble with paint to hone their skills.  A knitter needs to knit.  A baker needs to bake.  And a writer needs to write :-)

Don’t be afraid to practise, to try.  Just do it (to plagiarise a fancy brand strapline)!!  Whatever you produce may be a dud and it might feel like wasted time, but actually it’s all getting you one step closer to your goal.  Sometimes that might only be a small step, but other times it’ll unexpectedly be a massive leap!

No comments:

Post a Comment